Monday, May 13, 2024

Writing to Reach You



The epic story of Jen and I, ensconced in the Atherton Hilton in State College in July '96, continues. It's been established that at that particular time, I wasn't what you would call a well man; I'd been messed with. For our Arts Fest stay, in some ways I was OK and could function, in some ways I could not. But a central imperative theme never stopped playing in my head that entire summer, and before and after. I wanted to write some one-acts and have them produced by the Outlaw Playwrights, a theater troupe who were hugely popular on campus at that time, and would consider work from anyone they liked. I started on a side-to-poetry theater apprenticeship in '95, and in '96 I was still on that road. In the end, I wound up having a handful of one-acts produced by the Outlaws, between '97 and '99. The tie-in from this Travis video, to what the center of Pennsylvania looks like, including the Strawsers in Liverpool, is interesting, too. The first Outlaw wave, as of '94 to '96, didn't like me much; the second let me do the damage I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment