Thursday, May 16, 2024

Call Me


What with The Painter up at Synchronized Chaos, my mind drifts back to other details which surrounded the inauguration of my relationship with Miss H. It was a bumpy ride. Yet, the wild romanticism of '01 into '02 was, and remains, one of the peak experiences of my entire existence. It made me unhappy that it had to be at Melissa's expense. I'm not a cheater by nature. Yet, as the juggernaut that was to come built momentum in the fall of '01, and Mary and I began to get more special with each other, it wasn't just Aleister Crowley, aa the piece linked suggests, I was leaning on. Is the Al Green-Aleister Crowley chiasmus a vaunted one? Probably not. It had to work for me, though, then, because people who know popular music know, no one's more about adultery and transgression than Al Green. Al Green mythology, to be frank, is about the man being a womanizer.  So there I was, then, slipping into a role I wasn't comfortable with. But I did it. And the thrilling sense of intimacy in the Green tunes, like this one, was there between Mary and I at the beginning, whether in her studio at PAFA or anywhere else. Al Green also works well with Logan Square, especially at night, and West Philly. Both neighborhoods have their own sense of intimacy in-built, with nothing crass, ugly, or graceless about them. No skyscrapers, no monstrosities, no office buildings. In the end, I used Al Green to get my courage up, in a situation which wasn't optimum, but during a day I felt had to be seized. The opportunity with Miss H was one time only. That, or forever hold your peace. I'm glad the Green led me, and us, to victory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment