Friday, May 31, 2024

If You're Ready (Come Go with Me)

 

When the bulk of the thesis portion of Equations appeared on PennSound in June 2023, to complete the antithesis/synthesis which was already there, I felt the book was mostly completed. Why it took me so long to get to Emma Pasternak, and the final major piece added to the book in July 2023 (the only major piece left off PennSound), I do not know. It could be because I always secretly felt slightly cheated that she slipped into and out of my Aughts life so quickly. The piece itself turned out well. That Emma, or Emily, could be so whirling dervish where carnality was concerned, I had no idea growing up. Not only was Emily obscure at CHS, despite stunning good looks (something like a female Daryl Hall), she was frowning, snappish, carping, critiquing, and loathe to praise anything. In retrospect, her real life was obviously happening somewhere else, including survival skills to do love-n-sex battles the right way. Thus, the mystery around Emily P. is a substantial one. Ted, of Chimes fame, had the hots for her too. Now, in this case, the Staple Singers tune has no causal connection to Emily P, or whatever happened between her and I. The Staple Singers are new to me, as of 2024, but what strikes me about "If You're Ready...", and the whole Stax groove-machine, is how easy, how natural it makes sensuality feel. Emily P. had spent her entire childhood and adolescence watching me, but when the time came, she took me off the shelf as lightly and easily as you please. Was Emily a Mavis fan? She should've been. All that lightness and ease is built into this Memphis groove, and thanks to Chris Stapleton on Sirius for turning me on to it. The Staple Singers, like Emily P, could've been easy to miss.  

No comments:

Post a Comment