Wednesday, October 7, 2026

Beast of Burden



As has been established: play-lists at McGlinchey's in the mid-Aughts were dominated by two rock albums: Some Girls and London Calling. It's also been established that McGlinchey's is where the game started for myself and Hannah M. The revamped version of The Wilderness Sequence leaves no stone unturned (so to speak) about understanding that the whole underwater vibe for me then was about wandering in a wilderness space. I didn't really understand where I was going or how I got there. Hannah, from Santa Cruz, was used to a sense of vagueness about her life. Californian vagueness. The hard-edged sense of East Coast precision I was used to received a lesson in what underwater life is really like. The underwater sights I saw were ones I only sort-of ever regained my wits from having seen. Hannah's Ocean Queen persona could really only be revealed when, indeed, the curtains were drawn. Yet, when precision and punctiliousness are dropped at the door, the emotions eventually generated can be uneasy ones. The whole underwater ride had to be at least slightly uneasy. But I went through it, like anyone could go through anything, and lived to tell the tale. Even if it's still difficult for me to ascertain who was being who's Beast of Burden. After this many years, I suppose it doesn't matter. All we need to know is that the Ocean will be there forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment