Wednesday, September 2, 2026

The Walk



Dominique Part 2.And if The Cure do manifest as Dominique (Dominique) Part 2, it's because they're the band Dominique chose to front with when we were kids. Chris fronted with U2. Consequently, we went (sans D) to see the Zoo TV tour at the Vet in late summer 1992. By the time Paul Hewson spoke at my Penn commencement in the Aughts, the whole adolescent adventure of band-fronting, individual by individual, was over. I myself never fronted with any one band. My front at any given time depended on my mood. Could be classic rock or Alt-Revolution. When Chris and Dominique visited me in State College during my first summer there ('94), I was fronting with Nirvana, and being Kurt, who was Holden Caulfield for tons of kids in America then. The Catcher in the Rye. By the end of '94, the Pumpkins replaced Nirvana. Dominique to The Cure in the 90s was easy to understand. Dominique's whole posture had a wide streak of being Goth down the middle of it. No black eyeliner, just a sense of drama around darkness, the night, and a steady devotion to serious, brooding gravity. Being heavy. I always thought black eyeliner would look good on D, and boutique/fetish attire, and piercings, but she never took it that far. I had been through The Cure when I was younger. People forget: The Cure in the Nineties were for sociologists as much as they were for music fans. They themselves fronted for an entire social movement. The Cure meant, on a semiology level, Goth, and Goth meant what it meant. Dominique in State College maintained her dyed-blonde hair, and managed to look, herself, like Kurt Cobain. We were like half-siblings. She hid in the closet of my room in South Halls, where I was briefly ensconced. Being Goth. The Cure is something worth knowing about her, and the Nineties. Black eyeliner or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment