Thursday, November 10, 2022

Sara Starr


Sara Starr is now out as a single on Soundclick. As of 11-18, we stand at #15 in Alternative, #4 in Indie. As I say on the page, another one churned from the bowels of Manhattan. This 2007 pic, taken by Mary H, is of me standing outside the Sidewalk Cafe on Avenue A in the East Village. I read there then. Back in '99, during the months I spent living at 10th and A, the Sidewalk, and the attendant anti-folkies, were one pivot point for what I was doing. Lach, the kingpin, wouldn't give me a gig playing music, but he did set me up to write for the Sidewalk fan-zine Anti-Matters. And my friend Briana Winter dragged me onstage during one of her shows, to let me do Riding the Waves, with her singing back-up. At one of the Monday night soirees, I also bothered to play a Bowie-d out version of Wild is the Wind.

Bowie: what Sara Starr is musically tried not to showboat, but can't not reveal the connection to Ziggy-era Bowie. Why, during the Darkyr Sooner months in '99, I was so Bowie-besotted, I don't know. Actually, living at 10th and A, I kept hearing that Iggy Pop lived right around the corner on B, but I never saw him. I did walk out of the apartment I was crashing in to find Spike Lee standing on my stoop. This is an outdoorsman kind of trackwritten partially in Tompkins, partly in Washington Square Park, where I was hanging with Todd Smolar and more NYU film dudes. Another dead zone track, too. Who Sara is is my little secret. As per the time signature warp woven into the tunemaybe you'll like it, maybe you won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment